Areas A-E (See Core section of the Catalog) (42 semester hours)
Area F (18 semester hours)
Selection (3-6 hours) from:
Physical (8 hours) from:
Selection (1-4 hours) from:
Selection (3-10 hours) from:
(Any transfer student who has not completed the courses in Area F, or their equivalents, must take these courses at GC.)
Major Requirements (27 semester hours)
Physical/Environmental Geography: Selection (3-9 hours) from:
Human Geography: Selection (3-9 hours) from:
Regional Geography: Selection (3-9 hours) from:
Geographic Techniques: Selection (3-9 hours) from:
Senior Capstone: Selection (3-9 hours) from:
Total Credit Hours: 120
- GEOG 4940 (Independent Study) or GEOG 4950 (Special Topics) may be applied to the most appropriate category above for sections 1-4 with permission of the geography coordinator.
- At least one geography course must be taken from each of thematic sections 1-4 above. Any other upper-division geography courses may be used to satisfy the remaining hours (0-12) as long as no more than 9 hours are applied from any one section. Students may select one of the following courses as a substitute for a geography elective: AFST 4541, ANTH 3200, GEOL 4200, FREN 3110, FREN 3120, POLS 4531, POLS 4541, POLS 4561, POLS 4611, SOCI 4410, SOCI 4444, SOCI 4465, SPAN 4450, SPAN 4500, or WMST 4432.
- Certain courses do not count toward the 120 hours required for graduation. These include the First-Year Academic Seminar (regardless of discipline), Wellness courses, and the first-level (1001) foreign language course if it is the same language a student studied in high school.
- Students who use MATH 1113 (4 hours) in Area A or Area D will apply 3 hours in Area A or Area D and the remaining hour under Electives.
Degree Requirements (0-9 semester hours)
- Students must show competence in a foreign language at the level of the fourth university course (2002). (9-12 hours)
- A grade of C or better must be earned in all courses that count toward the major.
- A minimum of 39 hours overall must be at the 3000-4000 level.
- Complete First-Year Academic Seminar with a passing grade. (cannot be counted towards graduation)
Electives (24-33 semester hours)