Areas A-E (see Core section of the Catalog) (42 semester hours)
Area F (18 semester hours)
|BIOL 1107||Principles of Biology I||
|BIOL 1107L||Principles of Biology I Lab||
|BIOL 1108||Principles of Biology II||
|BIOL 1108L||Principles of Biology II Lab||
| ||2 Credit hours from 1000 or 2000 level courses that are relevant to the major (e.g. Biology, Chemistry, Computer Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Geology, Math, etc)||
(Any transfer student who has not completed the courses in Area F, or their equivalents, must take these courses at GC.)
Major Requirements (27 semester hours)
Upper Division Classes (18 hours)
Cognate Requirements (8-16 semester hours)
(two of the courses listed below should be taken in Area D for Science Majors) additional hours required
Degree Requirements (3-6 semester hours)
Students must show competence in a foreign language at the level of the second university course (1002).
Senior Capstone Requirement (3 semester hours)
Students should choose one of the following options: BIOL 4890, BIOL 4910, BIOL 4960, BIOL 4970 or BIOL 4980. BIOL 4999 may be considered a capstone course but must be arranged with supervising professor and may be subject to Chair's approval. If considered a capstone, it will be identified as such on the course schedule.
Electives (9-19 semester hours)
Total Credit Hours: 120
- Minimum grade of C in Principles I and II (BIOL 1107/1108) is prerequisite to all Biology 2000 level courses and up.
- A grade of C or better must be earned in Area F, Cognate area and 2000/3000 courses required for the major.
- Unless otherwise noted, courses will not be repeated for additional academic credit. Courses may be repeated to raise a grade, but the hours credited will only count once toward total hours earned.
- A minimum of 39 hours must be at the 3000-4000 level.
- Complete First Year Academic Seminar with a satisfactory grade. Students who transfer to GC are exempt from this requirement.
- Seniors must take and obtain a minimum score of 140 on the ETS Biology Major Field Test during their senior year. Students who fail the exam must retake and pass it before they will be allowed to graduate.