Areas A-E (See Core section of the Catalog) (42 semester hours)
Area F (18 semester hours)
SPAN 1001: if equivalent was not taken in high school
Selections from the following if not taken in Areas B, C or E (6-9 semester hours)
Major Requirements (30 semester hours)
Cognate Area (3 semester hours)
MFLG 0001: This is required of Spanish majors, but does not count towards the 120 hours required for graduation
Required Minor (15-18 semester hours)
The minor may be in another language or in any other field.
Electives (9-12 semester hours)
Total Credit Hours: 120
- A grade of C or better must be earned in all courses that count toward the major program.
- A minimum of 39 semester hours must be taken at the 3000-4000 level.
- Complete First-Year Academic Seminar with a satisfactory grade. Students who transfer to GC are exempt from this requirement.
- The B.A. degree requirement in one foreign language at the fourth college level is met by all Modern Languages and Cultures majors.
- Majors are strongly encouraged to study Spanish in a Spanish-speaking country during Summer, Fall, or Spring Semester or for a full year in their junior year. Course equivalents must be worked out with the Department of Modern Languages and Cultures and the International Education Center prior to registration. Several months before registration, students should meet with the Spanish Program Coordinator to discuss courses which satisfy degree requirements. Spanish majors must receive approval from the Spanish Program Coordinator and the Chairperson of Modern Languages and Cultures before registering for a study abroad program.
Students who wish to prepare for teacher certification can continue their studies at georgia college with the Master of Arts in Teaching degree. Sometimes called the Four-Plus-One program, students complete a B.A. in Spanish, then complete the M.A.T. program to receive both certification and a master's degree in one additional year of study. Please visit the M.A.T. website and contact the M.A.T. Graduate Applications Advisor for additional information.